Name:
Location: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

After developing a cooking style and certain tastes during my career as a consultant, food critic, occasional caterer and even more occasional world traveler, I have recently been tied close to home by the birth of my second son. Surprisingly, I don't mind! For years now friends and family have called for pointers and recipes, and I love to share, so I decided to track my newfound domesticity and any pointers and recipes that I come up with along the way.

Monday, November 27, 2006

Hari Krishna Yoga (and 3-Course Dinner)

"Hey Noelle, do you guys want to do yoga on Monday?"
"Sure!"
"There's a one hour yoga class and then they serve a three course vegetarian meal."
"SURE!!"

I'd never had the pleasure of meeting Hari Krishnas before. And if they are willing to provide a drop-in yoga class plus food for $15, they will always be friends of mine. I've also never done yoga in a venue where you can smell food cooking the whole time--a bit distracting, I must say.

After a fairly challenging class, we found ourselves in the restaurant with a dahl-style soup full of cumin seeds, followed by a plate full of butter chicken-style beans and tofu, sesame potatoes, rice, (slightly gritty) salad, and pakoras with chutney.

The restaurant, Govinda's, is open at lunches for cheap meals, but is closed for dinner most nights of the week to do the yoga/dinner combo. It's a fantastic deal. Crystal says there's another Hari Krishna restaurant across the street that serves meals for $5, and it's very good. It's a nice balance to throw in some exercise and an almost free meal in between $100 lunches.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home