Name:
Location: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

After developing a cooking style and certain tastes during my career as a consultant, food critic, occasional caterer and even more occasional world traveler, I have recently been tied close to home by the birth of my second son. Surprisingly, I don't mind! For years now friends and family have called for pointers and recipes, and I love to share, so I decided to track my newfound domesticity and any pointers and recipes that I come up with along the way.

Friday, November 24, 2006

Downtown—and Chicken Satay Noodle Soup

While wandering downtown and exploring the Arts Centre, an artisans’ collective, the open air craft market, and some of the souvenir shops, I discovered the Sampan House. It advertised satay chicken noodle soup.

Well, I’m closer to Vietnam than I would be in Saskatchewan, so I figured I’d better try this version of my favourite soup. So we stopped there for lunch. It was a curry-and-peanutty-garlicky broth with fat, fresh rice noodles, and a bit of kick. I’ve always tried to re-discover my favourite chicken satay noodle soup from Vancouver, and this wasn’t as thick, but the flavour notes were certainly there.

With a full belly, my jetlag caught up with me, and we were ready to head back home, but not before I checked out the menu offerings at a restaurant that claimed to be the best restaurant in New Zealand—Le Bon Bolli. It included a downstairs brasserie and an upstairs silver service restaurant.

The menu items on the silver service menu looked intriguing, but also a little pretentious and pricey: particularly the sorbet list for between courses, which included a raw prawn and scallop ice, and a beef tea with cognac sorbet. I would be curious to try those particular things, or I might try to make them myself someday, but they weren’t enough to convince me that I wanted to go for the silver service experience.

However, I wanted one of everything on the Brasserie menu. Many terrines and rillettes and hams and cheeses. Mental note: we must come back for dinner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home