Name:
Location: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

After developing a cooking style and certain tastes during my career as a consultant, food critic, occasional caterer and even more occasional world traveler, I have recently been tied close to home by the birth of my second son. Surprisingly, I don't mind! For years now friends and family have called for pointers and recipes, and I love to share, so I decided to track my newfound domesticity and any pointers and recipes that I come up with along the way.

Thursday, November 30, 2006

My Faith in My Country is Shaken

November 28, 2006 will go down in my memory as the day my belief that Canada is the best country in the world was profoundly shaken. The cause of the upset? Two words: Vom Fass.

In German, Vom Fass means “from the barrel.” It is also the name of a bulk ‘nectar of the gods’ chain that we stumbled upon in Christchurch. We walked into a little store where large decanters lined the walls from floor to ceiling. On another wall were little oak barrels, fitted with taps. Further back were other little oak barrels. What was in them? Bulk scotch in the little barrels. Bulk liqueurs of every imaginable origin filled the decanters. Further back in the store were the various edible oils and vinegars, and the wine and port taps. All available in 100mL to 1L volumes to take home. After you’d sampled several, of course.

I made a stop at each little kiosk to soak it all in (so to speak). Some of the scotch barrels looked familiar (I noted Bowmore from Islay, for example). Others I’d never heard of. Brandies and cognacs were also available.

The oil and vinegar selection included several flavoured olive oils and styles of balsamic vinegar, but it also included oils of almond, walnut, rose, evening primrose, and more. All in little barrels ready to be sampled.
The liqueur wall was most impressive, boasting (to name only a very few), limoncello, orangina (like spiked orange Crush—not my favourite), sherries, and liqueurs made from sour cherries, black currants, herbs, elderflowers, plums and spices, as well as cream liqueurs, of which the gingerbread cream was Kelly’s new favourite.

Why did this shake my faith in Canada, you ask? Because if I could choose another career other than the one I currently have, I would be deliriously happy making liqueurs and selling them in pretty little bottles in volumes as large or small as my customers desire.

But this will never happen. Because #1, bulk liquor does not exist in Canada, except maybe in Quebec. Buying a 66 oz bottle of cheap rye and refilling your 26 oz. bottles of higher end rye doesn’t count. #2, I live in Saskatchewan (happily so, most of the time), where the production and sale of liquor is tightly regulated. I couldn’t get my liqueurs licensed, and I couldn’t sell them from my own store.

Curses!

I was distracted for the rest of the day, cursing this situation. I’m almost tempted to move here and open my own franchise. Except I’d make my own instead of importing them from Europe. And mine would taste better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home